Vitamin D has recently increased in popularity due to its associated benefits in relation to COVID-19. The fear surrounding the disease has led to people increasing their consumption of Vitamin D, at times perhaps exceeding the ideal limits. Recently, a man found himself in hospital for three months due to an overdose of Vitamin D. In this article, we shall be discussing the acceptable levels of Vitamin D and why you should control your intake.
It is well understood that one of the main sources from where one can acquire Vitamin D is the sun. To maintain the right levels of Vitamin D it is recommended to spend between five and thirty minutes in direct sunlight for at least twice a week. There are also different food items which promote Vitamin D within the body. These include salmon, eggs and mushrooms amongst others.
Adults that are not getting the right amounts of Vitamin D, especially due to the colder winter months or because they find it difficult to be outside can be prescribed supplements by their doctor. Having enough Vitamin D levels is essential, in particular for those who are over seventy years of age. It is vital because it contributes to the building of bone tissue.
Before taking your Vitamin D pills, it is important to ensure that you are aware about the adequate levels of consumption. For most people, the right consumption of Vitamin D is 4,000 IU. Certain supplements will go beyond this as they may be intended for older individuals suffering with digestive issues, not being able to absorb the vitamins and minerals.
Toxicity from Vitamin D is not common, but it can happen if one overdoses on supplements. This cannot be a direct result of excessive sun exposure and food consumption. If one suffers from Vitamin D toxicity, likelihood is that this is due to supplements.
Vitamin D toxicity over the long term increases calcium levels in the blood, potentially harming tissues and vessels. It can also be accompanied by severe symptoms of vomiting, nausea, overall weakness and frequent urination.