Elvis Presley has won the hearts of many as he achieved legendary status in the music world. His music has reached a sense of immortality as his tunes still bring a strong sense of nostalgia when played and heard by his loyal followers.
He was born on the 8th of January in 1935, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Raised in humble beginnings where his father juggled from being a carpenter, farmer and factory worker, being unsuccessful in all occasions. He was raised in a poor and religious environment and enjoyed a very close relationship with his mother. His ability and talent to sing shown off at a relatively young age when he used to sing at the church choir. He received his first guitar when he was about twelve and was self-taught. He progressed to participating in a number of talent contests which took place in Tupelo, Memphis and Tennessee.
Being passionate about the music industry he worked as a truck driver in 1953 to finance his own records. A few months later he recorded “That’s All Right Mama”. It became his first major release, selling approximately twenty thousand copies. His initial rise to the top can be dated in 1955 with the launch of “Mystery Train” and “Heartbreak Hotel”.
The remainder of the 1950’s cemented his legendary status with records such as “Hound Dog”, “Don’t Be Cruel”, “Blue Suede Shoes”, “Love Me Tender”, “All Shook Up” and “Jailhouse Rock”. The 1960’s were also synonymous with success as he released “It’s Now or Never” and “Are You Lonesome Tonight?”.
He was nicknamed as the “King of Rock ‘n’ Roll”. His influence was undeniable as people mimicked his attitude, clothing and hairstyle. He also did remarkably well in television and movies. His involvement in movies led to ticket sales of over 150 million dollars. Although most of his movies were not exactly well-received by movie critics, they further promoted his music and image.
His success in the music and entertainment scene was also followed by a number of failures. His marriage crumbled, he lacked financial management and failed in friendships. To steer away from fans and the general public he would surround himself with gang thugs.
His problems magnified when he was rapidly increasing in weight and became dependent on drugs. Although he had these problems, he still continued to perform and sell out arenas. The 16th August, 1977 would be remembered as the day of his death. He was found by his fiancée, a day before the start of another tour.
Elvis Presley popular quotes:
- Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.
- Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away.
- The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.
- I don’t know anything about music. In my line, you don’t have to.
- The Lord can give, and the Lord can take away. I might be herding sheep next year.
- Until we meet again, may God bless you as he has blessed me.
- I like to sing ballads the way Eddie Fisher does and the way Perry Como does. But the way I’m singing now is what makes the money.
- Rhythm is something you either have or don’t have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
- Rock and roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can’t help but move to it. That’s what happens to me. I can’t help it.’
- It’s human nature to gripe, but I’m going ahead and doing the best I can.